Saturday, May 07, 2005

Film on CSJ now under police probe

12pm, 6 May 2005 - I received a call on my mobile from Assistant Superintendent Chan Peng Kuang from the Central Police Station informing me that the police had obtained a copy of 'Singapore Rebel' and is in the process of "investigation" although he did not disclose on what charge.

In a civil and almost apologetic tone, he asked if we could meet on Tuesday 10 of May. I replied that I was working that day and asked to meet tomorrow morning (7 may 2005) instead. He then replied that he would be overseas and would make time for the "interview" at my convenience. So the date is fixed for the "interview" on Tuesday at 7pm at the Central Police Station on Cantonment Road.

He asked too if the Singapore International Film Festival has acknowledgement slips to verify my submission of 'Singapore Rebel' for the short film competition. And then added another query as to whether other person(s) were involved in the production process. After I replied that both answers were negative, he expressed relief at the answer to his second question, to which I can only venture that his relief stems from the thought that he doesn't need to interview anyone else but me.

'Singapore Rebel' is a chroncle of opposition figure Dr Chee Soon Juan. I had withdrawn the film from the SIFF on March 11 after a phone call from its director Lesley Ho. At no point did I hear from the Board of Film Censors or from any department of the Government. This is my first direct contact with the authorities since the withdrawal.

Email me at singapore_rebel@yahoo.com (Need all the advice I can get)

Martyn See

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a little confused by your first para. The police person "made time" for you yet the meeting is still going ahead on 10 May which you aren't available because you have to work. What happened to "tomorrow" which was 7 May? Sorrie sorrie don't mean to nitpick, just the anal me fussing over some small details... hehe.

Anonymous said...

Who would pass up an opportunity to meet a blood-sucking MiW, after all, the meeting could serve as an inspiration for your next film i.e, the Singapore remake of Anna Rice's classic: "An Interview With A Vampire" :)

Anonymous said...

Why worry? The guy sounds apologetic, it doesn't sound like he'll be doing anything much. Is it illegal to make a film in Singapore now? This is getting ridiculous. Imagine the embarassment and uproar they would create if they did something to you just for making a film about CSJ.

Anonymous said...

I reckon it is a game of seeing how far they can push you. They want to test your mettle. Why don't you schedule the meeting away from the police station, if it is just a meeting like the person put it. After all you are not being served a summon for unlawful activities.

Anonymous said...

I reckon it's really important to find out what charge the investigation is made under. Then you would be better prepared to ask a lawyer friend for advice.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm writing from Auckland where your film is currently screening at the Human Rights Film Festival.

Having left Singapore to live here many years ago, I had almost forgotten that the oppressive strategies utilised by the Singapore Government (particularly under Lee Kuan Yew) during the 70s and 80s against the likes of Tan Wah Piow and JB Jeyaratnam still continue. I suppose that should not surprise me as Lee Kuan Yew is still alive!.

If we take a lesson from history, then I would advise you to be cautious if you wish to avoid unjust harassment and punishment. It seems a little late in the piece for caution now for you though!

I am in full support of your efforts to document and comment on the laughable 'democracy' that Singapore pretends to this day to be.

Best wishes...